How To Choose a Trampoline – Top Tips for Parents in Ireland
To choose a trampoline in Ireland, you need to determine your budget, establish your intended use, pick the right-sized trampoline, and consider the shape.
By the end of this article, you’ll have a better understanding of the different types of trampolines available and the way to choose the best option for yourself and your family.
1. Determine Your Budget for a Trampoline in Ireland
Trampolines range from the more traditional, relatively inexpensive models to the more premium options with added safety features. You need to keep a few things in mind when it comes to the cost of a trampoline.
Trampoline Specifications Affecting Its Price
The main determinant of your trampoline’s price tag will be its size. Unsurprisingly, small-sized trampolines are generally cheaper than larger ones owing to less material and resources used.
Nevertheless, variations exist in the price of same-sized trampolines depending on their qualities, for instance, their durability and weather resistance.
Type of Trampoline
An in-ground trampoline is going to cost you more than an above-ground one for four reasons;
- The need for excavation by several feet requires specialized machinery and professional help.
- Installing a proper drainage system to keep water from standing beneath your trampoline during the rainy season.
- Building a retaining wall to prevent soil from collapsing and caving under your trampoline, creating a mess and making it hard to bounce.
- Special features to account for the excess moisture and provide maximum airflow.
- To protect the trampoline frame and springs from rusting, they have a thick galvanized coating. The jumping mat and springs allow maximum airflow to yield a great bouncing performance.
Attributes & Model
There is a significant price difference between spring-free and regular trampolines; spring-free ones are much more expensive.
However, a spring-free trampoline has a unique, innovative design to enable a few additional safety levels. Having springs below the jumping surface and a flexible net enclosure with no steel poles means no impact injuries.
Rectangle trampolines come at a higher price than the round ones owing to the need for a thicker, more sturdy metal frame to prevent bowing along the long sides. This is particularly true for those that come in larger sizes.
Additionally, longer metal tubes ensure that they are as bouncy as their round counterparts but translate into a higher freight rate.
2. Establish Your Intended Use
Are you buying the trampoline for your child only, or are you looking forward to having a delightful bouncy ride along with your kids?
Whenever you choose a trampoline size and shape, look into the Maximum User Weight limit marked out on the trampoline. The value indicates if the trampoline is safe for the parents to jump on it.
Exceeding the maximum user weight can cause the trampoline to ‘bottom out’ or even detach when you jump on it. This can be very dangerous!
The jumping mat, the springs, the shape, and the size of the trampoline determine the maximum user weight. For instance, mini trampolines can bear a load of up to 100 lbs (45.36 kg) while large, about 15-16 feet (4.57-4.88 m) trampolines can carry as much as 250-400 lbs (113.4-181.44 kg).
It is recommended to keep a safety margin of a few dozen lbs from the Maximum user limit. For example, if the combined weight of you and your kids is about 200 lbs (90.72 kg), a trampoline with a maximum user limit of 250 lbs (113.4 kg) would be an ideal one.
3. Pick the Right-Sized Trampoline
Choosing the perfect trampoline size depends on factors like the size of your backyard and the number of people who would use the trampoline at one time.
How Much Space Do You Have?
Before you can pick out the best trampoline for yourself or your family, you need to consider the size of the area where you want to install your trampoline.
The good news is that trampolines come in a variety of sizes, with diameters ranging from 5 to more than 14 feet (1.52-4.27 m).
There are a few points to bear in mind:
- Measure the area of the ground where you plan to set up your trampoline so you can get one that can fit accurately. An ideal surface for trampoline placement would include a flat, soft ground clear of debris.
- You’ll need an additional distance of a few feet around the periphery of your trampoline as a “safe space”. This area needs to be clear of rocks, fencing, plants, and other items for optimum safety in case of a fall.
- Provide a clear overhead space to have a safe bouncing experience. There must be no branches, sun shades, or a roof close above to avoid any potential injuries.
If you have a small yard and your child is insisting on getting a trampoline, there is no need to worry. There are mini models with a diameter smaller than 5 feet (1.52 m) available which are ideal for young children. However, bear in mind that the smaller the size of your trampoline, the lower its maximum weight capacity.
This con, however, can be traded off with the fact that a smaller trampoline also means a smaller hit on your bank account.
If your yard is large enough, you can opt for a mega trampoline to have a fun family time together or let the kids invite their friends over for a joyful bouncing championship!
How Many People Will Be Jumping Simultaneously?
If you have a big family wanting to bounce together on the unit or your little ones are outgoing and love playing with their friends, you know what to expect; multiple people bouncing at one time!
You wouldn’t want the bouncers to bump and crash into each other and possibly hurt themselves nor disturb their fun time and ask them to go separately. In this case, it would be best to choose a large-sized trampoline.
Therefore, if space and cost are not a problem, go for a large trampoline. Since a good quality trampoline can last for many years, getting a small one would mean that your kids would grow out of it in a few years. In this case, a large-sized trampoline is a good investment.
Here are some handy details regarding how many people can round trampolines of different sizes accommodate:
- 8-10 feet (2.44-3.05 m) trampolines are ideal for a single child at one time. These are recommended for toddlers and small children. (Having more than a single kid simultaneously could cause it to bottom out)
- 12 feet (3.66 m) trampoline can have 2 children at one time and can be used by an adult, although one at a time.
- Trampolines of about 14 feet (4.27 m) in diameter can be used by multiple people, adults or children, all at one time! Hence, these could rightfully be called the “Family Trampolines”
This YouTube video sums up well some things to consider while choosing your trampoline:
4. Choose the Right Trampoline Shape
The shape of your trampoline is determined by the area of your trampoline placement as well as its purpose. Although trampolines come in several shapes like oval, square, and polygonal, it's the round and rectangular ones that are generally more common. Under normal circumstances, these ones usually provide the best jumping experience.
I’ll explain both of them so you can understand which one works better in your scenario.
Round-shaped trampolines are the more traditional option that are still highly popular. These are frequently used by families for a good time outdoors.
Round trampolines have an advantage in that the shape allows the force to be evenly distributed among all the springs, pulling the jumper to the center. This property provides an important safety feature, making them ideal for children.
This also lets you bounce pretty high - which is the whole purpose of having a trampoline in the first place! Additionally, they are relatively cheaper than rectangular ones of a similar size.
These are more commonly seen in competitions and are used by gymnasts, athletes, and anyone who practices somersaults and amazing flips.
The springs in these models function at different rates and hence, allow the users to control their landings much more effectively. Furthermore, the specific design provides a high rebound force, enabling the jumpers to reach great heights. These properties make rectangle trampolines the perfect choice to perform awe-inspiring tricks.
Trampolines are a great way to enjoy a cheerful family time outdoors while also keeping active and fit. Present-day trampolines come in a wide range of shapes, sizes, models, and prices, making it a perplexing task to select one that is best suited for your family.
However, by comparing certain features and considering the purpose of your trampoline, you can get one that is safe, enjoyable, and worth every penny.